Don’t hesitate to unlock the wonder hiding in those dingy wood floors. Knowing what to prepare for during wood floor refinishing service santa monica ca may be the answer to advancing:
If you have other construction or remodeling work going on, save a floor work for the last task.
During rainy periods of course, if humidity is high, consider rescheduling the work. Wood is a porous material, and once the old finish is stripped away, the surface will absorb moisture. If this happens or if it is just very humid, the latest finish is going to take significantly longer to dry.
Since all of the furniture is going to be removed, your room is rendered unusable for several days. Even then, extra care is required to avoid scratching the floors. Intend on buying rugs (not the kind with rubberized bottoms) for all those entries in the room, and keep your pet’s nails trimmed.
Controlling dust is really a task. No matter what the contractor does to stop it from spilling into adjacent rooms, he or she won’t have the ability to control it entirely. Protect furniture and other items that you don’t want finding yourself engrossed in a film of dust. Also, understand that the odor of polyurethane will linger for several days. It can be remedied somewhat by leaving windows open and ventilating the space, however, not if rain is expected.
Looking to install hardwood flooring? Highly regarded hardwood flooring pros say improper installation, humidity and picking out the wrong wood can cause problems.
1. Research flooring contractors
You don’t ought to become an expert on hardwood flooring. But it’s a good idea to learn enough you could properly evaluate your contractor before, during and following the job. Developing an eye for well-installed and effectively maintained floors makes it easier to identify those that are not. Visit various showrooms.
2. Hire the right hardwood floor refinisher
Want to interview a minimum of three contractors, and remember that pricing is not the only or best measure of a good contractor. Require and take time to contact references. Examine a portfolio for each contractor’s work. Make certain that anyone you hire is properly insured and licensed, and that every important detail is written in the contract. Good planning and communication can make the work go more smoothly and help you avoid any bad surprises. Make sure you are given a quote as an alternative to a bid, and ensure to ask about what types of unexpected costs can appear.
After settling on that is doing the job, talk with your contractor about your role in preparing to do the job. For instance, all window treatments must be taken down and also the furniture completely cleared out. Who can do this? Take into account that more benefit the contractor means a greater cost for you personally, so clarify these sorts of things ahead of time making them section of the contract.
Usually, the contractor will remove each of the doors opening in to the room, pull-up quarter round and base molding and remove or drive in to the floor all protruding nails. He can take up all 04dexkpky mounted heating vents, tape over electrical outlets and other jacks, cover ceiling fans, seal the space off from the other house with plastic sheeting and vacuum all grit and dirt in the surface.
Refinishing hardwood floors helps to preserve the wood to make the boards shine again.
3. Top reasons to leave in a wood floor refinishing job
When your wood floor refinishing or installation job is extensive and also you want to buy done in one job, it may be better to stay elsewhere till the project’s done.
Top reasons to leave include:
• Furniture will have to be moved from room to room or out of the house entirely.
• There will be a lot of fine dust, no matter how well a place is sealed off.
• Odors from stain and polyurethane can stay in the air for several days.
• And even though most floors may be used within 24 hours of sealing, it will take weeks for your treatment to cure fully.
Understand that a flooring job can take three to five days, however the specific length depends upon several factors:
• Simply how much flooring is involved.
• How quick the contractor can move from room to room.
• The extent associated with a damage and wear for the old floor.
• Your specifications, together with the contractor’s requirements.
a hardwood floor after having a refinishing job
Floor refinishing can be a method that takes planning and preparation. Know what to anticipate before you begin this process in your house. (Photo by Summer Galyan)
4. Options to consider when you stay during a hardwood floor refinishing project
If you want to stay in your home, here are some of the things you can expect:
• The task begins following the room is fully cleared.
• The contractor will sand the previous complete the floors, repair any damaged areas and ensure all wood dust is cleared in the floors.
• The machine used in refinishing floors is noisy.
• Stain is normally applied in just two coats, and can create a strong odor.
• When stain is fully dry, three or more layers of polyurethane coating are applied, and this, too, can involve a powerful odor.
• Your liveable space is going to be reduced to an untreated area or among the treated rooms, only 24 hours once the polyurethane is used.